Tuesday, November 13, 2018

A Short Fragment of My Teaching Philosophy


Assessment:
My main goal for my students will be that they will learn and will improve upon the knowledge they entered my class with. Therefore, the assessments I will create will be more for my use in knowing how to move forward with the class than it will be for deciding which students get A’s and which ones fail. Of course, I expect to have to come up with specific data to show my superiors, but that data should come with the assessments I choose anyway. Another goal I have is to provide a classroom with as little stress as possible for my students, as I know it is difficult for anyone to work when they are feeling anxious or stressed. Therefore, I will try to give out as little homework as possible, and instead try to give students time in class to work on their assessments. I also intend on allowing students to opt out of tests by completing projects for much of my class. Choice is another huge part of my teaching philosophy, so I wouldn’t want to prevent students from taking tests if that’s their preferred method, but I know a lot of students would feel less stressed and more excited with a project option. When we do have tests, I will give the students comprehensive study guides and base most of my questions on big-picture ideas, rather than specific bits of information. This method should truly test the students’ knowledge, rather than their ability to regurgitate memorized information.

Technology:
I am not the greatest with technology and would probably still be writing papers by hand if that were an option for me. However, I understand that technology is increasingly important in our modern world and the skills relevant to it are highly marketable. Therefore, I intend to utilize technology a fair amount in my classroom. I especially like the idea of using interactive lesson sites, like Kahoot or Poll Everywhere, to get students engaged in the classroom. I tend to focus a lot on how to help introverted students contribute without being put on the spot, so I am a huge fan of technology that allows students to post anonymously to a conversation that is happening in real-time on the projector. This allows everyone’s voice to be heard without stressing students out too much. This is just one example of how technology can be a huge attribute in a classroom, so I am definitely planning on implementing technology into my teaching. However, I’m sure I’ll still have plenty of technology-free days, because I also think it’s important to be able to connect with peers or with internal thoughts without having to be plugged-in.

Differentiation:
Despite the illusion of students moving from grade to grade, the fact is that every student is at a different point in every subject, and even in every topic within each class. One student may be a phenomenal writer but may struggle with reading fluently. Therefore, differentiation will be important in every single one of my classes, despite the amount of EL or Special Ed. students I have. So many students in our school system are left behind because the “should be at grade level” with all of their skills. It is important to me that I treat every student equitably and I make sure every student understands each of the topics we cover in class. Therefore, I intend to dedicate plenty of focus to providing scaffolds and extra help in my classroom so every student is given a fair opportunity to learn.

Classroom Ecology:
I want to create a community-centered classroom. I will take extra measures to get to know my students and for the students to get to know each other. I hope to implement talk circles in my classes and to make them a regular part of our week. I want my students to encourage each other and work together, rather than create a hostile or even competitive atmosphere. I want my classroom to feel relaxing and relatively safe for my students, a place where they feel free to be honest and to be themselves. Ideally, I’d like a section of my room to have comfy seats and pillows, where students can go to relax or take a quick break from their stressful lives. I want my walls to be covered with student work, because I want to show that it is really their classroom, too.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Courtney, I really like that you are assigning homework only when necessary. I think it's important to only assign assignments that actually result in a product rather than as busy work to make sure they "have x hours of homework each night". I'll just say don't be afraid to assign homework when you need to. A teacher on twitter said "if a highly mobile student can't complete it, don't assign it".

    As far as opting out of tests to do projects instead, I like the idea but I worry what type of precedent that is setting up for subsequent years. Unfortunately, tests are a big part of education, whether its multiple choice or essay format. I worry that not making them grapple with any anxiety around a difficult test might be setting them up for failure. I had a similar idea where I wanted my students to have choice, so I had the guidelines that in the course of say, a trimester, if i had 4 big summatives, at least half of them would have to be in the form of paper. they could choose which summative were the essay and which ones took the other forms (oral presentation, research project, creative assignment etc). This way I'm preparing them for the expectations of the field as well as allowing them some autonomy.

    ReplyDelete