Thursday, May 30, 2019

CI 5321 Post 3: F2F vs. Online Learning

This week, I found and read an article for my podcast assignment entitled "Distance Learning and the Future of Education" by Steven Cohen, a professor at Columbia University. In my podcast, I briefly talk about how the article speaks on how online learning can make education available across the globe and how hybrid classes are the most efficient form of education. However, due to the strict time limit on the podcast of less than five minutes, I was barely able to scratch the surface on what I truly thought about this article. Specifically, I want to speak more about my reactions to Cohen's belief that technology will never completely replace face-to-face learning.

 Cohen talks about how, especially in higher education, it is hard to find a class that isn't immersed in technology in one way or another. In a society where major technological advances happen so quickly and frequently, and where knowledge and skills in said technological advances are highly marketable or even necessary to survive, I think it is a good thing that classrooms are utilizing technology within their curriculum. Although, I have to say that the following quote made me a little sad as a teacher who centers classroom community: "While [students] enjoy and use live interaction with colleagues and teachers, it no longer holds the monopoly position it once held." I may want to constantly interact with my students face-to-face, but the truth is that many of them feel more comfortable interacting online.

However, Cohen also emphasizes that no matter how advanced technology becomes, the world will never be without a need for physical classroom spaces. He says, "It will augment live education, but will not eliminate it. Educators should not worry that robots will replace them." This is something that I truly believe in. A couple of years ago, I had this same conversation with my boyfriend. He claimed that there wasn't a job that would be safe from being taken over by artificial intelligence. I argued that teaching wouldn't be the same if it was run by AI, even if the AI was super advanced. I tried to explain to him the importance that building relationships with the students has on student learning. I said that students wouldn't take AI as seriously, or at least there wouldn't be the same motivation that comes with learning from your favorite teacher. My boyfriend is a techie and never really came over to my side in this argument, but the more I learn, the more I stand by what I said. I truly don't think any technological advancement could ever completely replace teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment