Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Lesson on "The Masque of the Red Death" Pt. 2


After creating this small series of instructional videos, I would definitely consider using some sort of instructional videos in my future career as a teacher. I think instructional videos can be great because they are not overly complicated to create - although I am technologically challenged and had major issues trying to upload my videos to Youtube - and they can serve a great purpose. They could be convenient to use in teaching my class if I were to have to miss class one day or during a long break from school. I could still give my students direct instructions without having to be with them in person. Another thing I would consider utilizing instructional videos for is to teach my students how to use certain technology. This way, I could open up more options to the students on how they can create their assignments without having to take precious class time to teach them how to use these different types of tech. In addition, these videos would be optional, so the students who already know how to use these technologies can avoid wasting their time on a pointless lesson.
While instructional videos could be useful, I definitely wouldn’t use them to replace face-to-face instruction. First of all, students couldn’t directly ask me questions if I were to do this. Even if we happened to be online at the same time, other students would not benefit from those questions because they wouldn’t know the questions were being asked. Also, if instruction was entirely online, some students - like myself - would struggle with having to deal with technology 100% of the time without having someone in the room with them to help them out. If students’ instruction was online, they could easily skip or skim through lessons, instead of sitting through their entirety and learning about everything I would want them to. Finally, one huge part of teaching is building rapport with your students. If I couldn’t see my students face-to-face everyday, it would be extremely difficult for me to build a strong bond with them.
Honestly, the 21th Century Digital Fluencies came naturally with this assignment, probably partly because my initial creation of this assignment was based off of SAMR and ISTE standards. I think this assignment demands the Creativity Fluency. First, my instructions will serve as an easy “problem” to identify. Then, my students will need to inspire in order to come up with their stories.  Next, they will interpolate to fit their stories into patterns and shape them into workable pieces. After that, they’ll imagine in order to start working at building their videos. Finally, they’ll inspect their final products by 1) completing a self-evaluation and an evaluation of their team members’ contributions, and 2) by reading the comments their classmates will leave them online.
A second 21st Century Digital Fluency I think my assignment requires is the Collaboration Fluency. The students will have their groups established for them when I put them into their teams, but they will have to divide the roles and responsibilities among themselves. Next, they’ll have to work together to envision the final outcome, or their story that will turn into a movie. Then, they will have to engineer their plan on how to create this story and video. After that, they will have to collaborate and complete their individual responsibilities in order to execute their plan and create the video. Finally, they will examine their group work by evaluation the contributions of themselves and their group members.
Integrating these fluencies didn’t really shift my assignment at all. As I stated previously, my assignment fit pretty neatly into the requirements for these fluencies.
See below for the link to my video on the specifics of my assignment, the link to my video on how to use Screencast-O-Matic, and my rubric for my assignment:

https://youtu.be/8EUeCFQK0bQ (Assignment Details)
https://youtu.be/hVLxbCT9Ro4 (Screencast-O-Matic How-To)

No comments:

Post a Comment